6/16/09

Claims of student massacre in Tehran spread

punditman says...Post-election Iran: chaos, rioting, repression, instability, complexity. Thankfully, award-winnning journalist Robert Fisk always manages to be where the action is in the middle east. He points out that half of Iran's population is under 25 and 60 per cent of Iran's women have higher education and that much of the agitation for reform in Iran lately has been coming from youth and women.

Is this rigged election the spark that will create another Iranian revolution?
Millions are demonstrating against a fraudulent election. Yesterday Punditman made a comment that these are the very people that an Israel/US attack would be killing. This is a story that continues to unfold.

By Robert Fisk

Tehran University looked as calm as any summer campus. So much for the latest rumours of a bloodbath. Another piece of Iranian fiction, served up on YouTube. Scarved female students were moving through the university's great black iron gates. I asked my driver, Ali, to drop me off at the corner so I could prowl the college bookshops on Engelob Street, I was looking for a volume of modern Persian poetry for a friend. I did not at first hear the man at the cash desk, motioning out the door.

I peered out. The gates of the university were now shut. Behind them was a crowd of hundreds of young men and women, many wearing scarves over their mouths. I crossed the road. And the banners behind those forbidding gates told a frightening story. "Today is a day of mourning," one of them read. "Dignified students are mourners today." "Police, shame on you, shame on you." "Tell my mother – she doesn't have a son any more."

I walked up to the gate. Young female students were crying. So were some of the young men. "We don't want a government by coup," another poster read. "Tehran University dormitory has been coloured with students' blood," another said.

Keep Reading...