6/12/09

Obama’s Wrong Turn on Detention

punditman says...Obama has proposed some changes to the Guantánamo detainee situation. But some criminal trials along with some kinder, gentler military commision trials, along with continuing the Bush/Cheney policy of imprisonment-without-trial (within the confines of the US instead of Guantánamo Bay, for what that's worth ), are not exactly the sort of reversals of the Bush disasters that those who voted for him wanted. I think. Then again, how many Obama fans look past his nice sounding speeches? Punditman tries to. Peacenik tries to. Do you?

By Robyn Blumner

As he was taking leave of Louis XIV, the French commander Marechal Villars is believed to have said: "Defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies." This is how I feel right now about President Barack Obama. As Obama tries to clean up the Bush administration mess surrounding the terror suspects housed in Guantánamo, he is flirting with cementing in law some of the worst excesses of the Bush/Cheney regime.

The thought of this makes me weep into my Yes We Can coffee mug.

The betrayal came in Obama’s speech last month at the National Archives, generally a superb speech that reaffirmed his understanding that the Constitution and Bill of Rights contain our "most cherished values" and must never be set aside "for expedience’s sake."

Then he set about explaining why he plans to set them aside for expedience’s sake.

Keep Reading...