7/23/08

Noam Chomsky: I think McCain will win.

 Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance (The American Empire Project)

punditman says...Chomsky has proven to be one the most astute observers of the US political scene ever, so even one of his throw-away remarks is worth serious contemplation.
I am one of those who is endlessly grateful for Noam Chomsky's activism, his clear and perceptive explanations, and the withering snark he directs at the "Masters".

I know Chomsky has a well-deserved reputation as a scientific genius in linguistics, but I always thought that his political principles were simple (in a good way). Chomsky has taught me to apply the following principles to politics: States are systems of power, not moral entities and must adhere to their obligations under international law. Everyone is responsible for the foreseeable effects of his or her actions. Power is fundamentally invalid unless justified by contigent need, with the burden of proof placed on those trying to justify power. There is far more moral value in criticizing our own states and institutions (for which we are responsible) than in criticizing others.
All of this is a long wind-up to the point of this diary- namely my own panic and dismay upon reading that Chomsky predicts a McCain victory. (I remember he predicted Bush's reelection in 04, though he personally voted for Kerry). I note that I predicted a McCain victory myself, but have since taken a more optimistic view. 

Noam Chomsky's prediction was a throw-away at the end of an interview and he doesn't explain why he thinks that McCain will win.