4/19/08

Punditman in Pain

Punditman has some cracked or badly bruised ribs from a hockey injury. He has decided to take a few days off from monitoring the international insanity and will post again when he feels up to it.

UPDATE: 4/20 (Ouch! That's Hitler's Birthday. So reflect for a moment on the massive evil. Now read on...)

Below is an explanation of the "event" of my injury for the curious, the hockey-minded and for those who may one day suffer a similar fate.


(Note: In these days of creeping fascism and prevalent social and economic decay, the mind quickly conjures numerous scenarios that may result in a cracked rib or two: truncheon blows, jackboot kicks, rubber bullets, jumping out your window after the bank forecloses, tripping over your stockpile of lima beans, leaping from a helicopter into some landing zone in the middle of some oil-rich nation; Feel free to create your own list).

So, consider this a public service announcement or perhaps a harbinger of your imminent future.

After decades of playing hockey, including some high-calibre, full-contact-minor hockey and lots of non-contact old timers' and recreational pick-up, pond and shinny hockey--I've never had this kind of injury; never can I recall hitting the boards with such force. How did this happen? And what can be done, in case you, dear reader, are maimed in a comparable manner?

I am glad you asked...

As I recall, the puck was in their zone and we had just lost control after "cycling it down low." My source of harm and ruin (who is 284 pounds) then did the unexpected: instead of high-tailing it up ice as he gained control of the puck, he peeled back within his own zone--into Yours Truly--as similarly, I tried to regain possession. I am told we were both moving at a decent pace and he must have caught me off balance. (The problem with non-contact hockey is that you can be lulled into the bad habit of not expecting to be hit and, even if this happens for a millisecond, it can have dire consequences). Kids, always expect to be plowed into the boards! Anyway, his shoulder hit mine--which would have been fine in and of itself--had it not catapulted me into the boards.

This injury is often caused as one braces one's self for sudden impact, which is what I did when I hit the boards. My left elbow went into my side as my left shoulder hit the boards. The doc said probable crack, maybe more than one rib, or they are very badly bruised.

They are reticent to do x-rays. I didn't ask, but I suspect it is not so much because of superfluous radiation, and despite lots of evidence that x-rays increase cancer rates, I would not be surprised if many MDs think that only flaky-new-age-earth-muffin-hippie-Luddites believe that each x-ray or CT scan you receive may significantly increase your cancer risk. The reason for no x-ray, I was told, was because what they do for cracked ribs is Nothing. So as long as you can gasp a few breaths, don't expect your cracked costa to ever be seen by a radiologist--that is, if the hospital happens to have a radiologist on duty. Rural folk take note.

Nope, you only get an x-ray if they detect a lung puncture, (I passed the lung test), if it is work-related and you want to file a claim for workers' compensation or if you are thinking of suing someone. Or, I might add, you are a professional athlete and your franchise wants to know when your multi-millionaire butt will be back in the lineup. Did I mention that I don't play in the NHL?

So, no x-ray, no matter. The doc said it takes six weeks for any bone to heal 80%. The worst part is clearing my throat, coughing, deep breaths, sneezing (allergy season arrived in perfect synchronicity with Friday's fateful puck pursuit) -- and laughing!

The drugs are doing sweet ~@*$-all!

Just past the hooch, I guess. I think I will watch Mad Max.

LOL...Ouch!