3/13/08

Bereaved Iraqi Mother Vows Revenge on US

By Patrick Cockburn in Baghdad
Thursday, 13 March 2008

Um Saad, a middle-aged woman living in the Sunni district of Khadra in west Baghdad, blames the Americans for the death of her husband and two of her sons and threatens revenge.

"They are monsters and devils wearing human clothes," she exclaims vehemently. "One day I will put on an explosive belt under my clothes and then blow myself up among the Americans. I will get revenge against them for my husband and sons and I will go to paradise."

Just as the White House and the Pentagon were trumpeting the success of "the surge" – the dispatch of extra American troops to Iraq last year – and the wire services' claim that the country has enjoyed "months of relative calm", Um Saad saw Saif, her second son, shot dead as he opened the door of her house.

Keep Reading...

punditman says:
Winning hearts and minds, in the usual fashion. Sorta like this story or this story, or this story, or...for some Canadian flavour, this story...
On and on it goes...